Monday, January 15, 2018

Stefoff, Rebecca Me, Myself, and I: The More Grammar Changes, The More It Remains the Same


Stefoff, Rebecca         Me, Myself, and I: The More Grammar Changes, The More It Remains the Same         Capstone Publishers 2018   32p            27.32  978-1-5157-6387-1            elm/ms                       E-BN   

This is a good book on grammar, and specifically the use of first-person pronouns, for any age (really), but geared toward upper-elementary and middle-school readers. Well organized and fun to read, it is also very informative.   I love this grammar book for upper-elementary and middle-school kids! It starts out by making it easy to decide which pronoun to use, (me, myself, or I), by stating that if the subject of the sentence is "I", then, and only then, should "I" be used. Nicely put, and I wish that more adults could get their heads around that concept! The book goes on to discuss grammar and its evolution in the English language, which is helpful and informative. There is also a section on the use of "myself," which is very instructional and a topic not often discussed. The example sentences that the author uses are humorous, and she keeps the tone of her instruction light and fun. Organization is good, with a glossary, an index, references for further research, chapters, and appropriate illustrations.
            Fact Finders (Capstone)       Within the Fact Finders series, this is also part of a smaller series that includes books on similes and metaphors, idioms, and cliches.       Kennedy, Carol   

No comments: